Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pole Dancers, Irony, and Awesomness

Today was "Quad Day" at my University. The day before classes start, campus organizations set up booths along our main quad and students come out to look at what the school has to offer in extracurriculars, clubs, and organizations. I went by myself in a t-shirt and a pair of short short short short athletic shorts. That's not actually an important detail, I just wanted to say it. wearing shorts out in public is STILL a big deal to me even four years after moving out of my parent's house.


So anyway. The quad was PACKED. There had to have been over 2000 students there, milling around between tables, talking, laughing, it was insane. I wandered all over the place. There was a LARPING group hitting eachother with foam swords on an empty patch of grass. There were a bazillion demographic-specific student groups. There were glee clubs and drama clubs and dance clubs and judo clubs. There was a big stage set up where some clubs were giving demonstrations. There was one club called the Fitness Pole Dancing Club that gave a demonstration. My first reaction would be to roll my eyes and the spectacle of it all, but to my surprise, the first Dancer to demonstrate really caught my eye. She was wearing a sports bra and short short short booty shorts. She looked about 20, Latina, and she had a really big jiggly belly. What really stopped me in my tracks were her thighs. They were large and curvy but most strikingly they were covered in scars. hundreds of inch-long slices all along the outside of her upper thighs. And there she was, jiggly belly, fading scars, and a HUGE smile on her face as she rocked in on that pole. I just. I don't even know what to say I was so amazed and inspired.

So there were a bazillion organizations, but it really felt like at least 20% of them were Christian groups. Just dozens of different christian organizations that all do the same things like have pizza parties and prayer groups and go help someone rake their lawn once a year. It was weird to me that none of them seemed to have a specific mission other than... hanging out? Anyway. In the "advocacy" section of the quad, there were all the awesome causes represented. Students were there handing out flyers on how to get involved ending human trafficking, or feeding the homeless, or bettering public services, or ending AIDS. And right in the middle of all those booths was the "Pro-Life" table. Literally two feet away from a girl talking about sex trafficking victims, there's a 19-yr-old white guy shouting about ending abortion and saving the fetuses. Who classified "pro-life" as an advocacy group? I wonder if anyone else noticed the irony.

So once I'd had enough fun at the quad, I headed off to walmart to pick up some last minute school supplies and I ended up coming home with these super extremely awesome Avengers pens. I wanted Batman pens too but I figured I'd wait till I inevitably lose these. 

And yes those are my Star Wars things in the background. That's like 20% of my collection.

I wonder if there's a nerd club at my University?


3 comments:

  1. I still haven't worn short shorts except for once, when I realized that I am still so extremely uncomfortable in them that it simply isn't worth the anxiety. I have enough trouble socializing without worrying about whether men are "lusting" after me. Good for you being able to move on. And yes, it bugs me too that so many Christian groups choose to remain merely an evangelical club of sorts instead of joining their efforts to something already working to better people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula G V aka YukimiAugust 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

    I'm sure there's a nerd club in your uni,in fact surely mroe than one XP Mine doesn't have barely any club but it has a manga/anime club. I don't belong to it but I belong to a Doctor Who Club in my city :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it would be great if the Christian groups would be more outward focussed. That drove me nuts when I was in college. The social living group I was a member of did more for the community than the Christian Fellowship that I was also a member of, but the Christian Fellowship folks (most of whom ONLY participated in the Christian Fellowship for extracurricular activities, and nothing else) probably would have said that the main goals of the social living group were to, well, live socially--you know, get drunk. Insert eye roll...

    I wonder if the "scars" on the Latina's legs were stretch marks? Years ago I noticed what I think are similar scars on my sister's thighs, and I thought they were scars from being beaten as a child. When I asked her about them--how long she had had them and such--she shrugged off my questions and wouldn't answer. It wasn't until I got pregnant the first time and got stretch marks from my pregnancy that I realized that the marks she had were stretch marks, and then my husband confirmed "oh yea, I have stretch marks too." Not sure why I had not seen them on him prior to that! LOL!

    ReplyDelete